If you’ve ever wondered how to get rid of face fat and lose a double chin, this mini-guide is for you. It’ll give you step-by-step instructions on how to turn your chubby cheeks into a thinner, more sculpted silhouette, and banish your pesky double chin for good.
Chubby cheeks are cute on babies and toddlers, but not so adorable when you’re an adult. And usually those puffy cheeks bring a friend along–a double chin.
Maybe you’ve tried to hide your chubby cheeks with your hair or used scarves or turtlenecks to camouflage a double chin.
And if you’ve ever agonized over how to get rid of your chubby cheeks or how to lose weight under your chin, then you’ll be happy to know you can get rid of face fat naturally.
CAUSES OF FACE FAT
I hate to be the one to tell you, but generally, fat on the face is a result of excess fat on the entire body. While there are some exceptions, ultimately, the best way to slim your face is to slim your body.
So let’s break down the various causes of face fat into bite-sized nuggets of information you can digest:
I have to admit that I struggle with drinking enough water in the colder months. I’m less active because I tend to hibernate from the cold.
As a result, it’s easy for me to get dehydrated and my body responds by holding on to the little bit of water already in my body (hello bloating!).
But wait. I see you thinking, poor Roz. But this happens in all of our bodies.
The less water you drink, the more your body hoards what’s left and the puffier you look.
Most of us have busy, fast-paced lives. We’re usually short on time and this often leads to a lack of adequate exercise and to eating fried or processed foods. The result of this, over time, is extra fluffiness (A.K.A. fat) on the body which usually reflects on our face.
Lack Of Sleep
Not getting enough sleep each night can affect your body and show up on your face. It also causes the release of insulin, which leads to increased fat storage.
A high release of hormones, especially cortisol, can cause the face to gradually become round, full, or puffy. Stress is often associated with higher levels of cortisol being released in the body. Also as we age, our metabolism slows making it more challenging to lose weight and easier to gain.
Certain times of the month, I often find myself craving salty foods–usually unhealthy snacks, you know, chips and such. These processed snacks contain excessive sodium which can cause the body to hold onto extra fluid in an attempt to dilute the salt. This can make you look puffier than usual, according to Megan Smith on Livestrong.com.
Sometimes a chubby face is a hereditary thing (thank you very much great-grandma Gladys). But don’t despair–you can still work out your facial muscles for a more tightened and toned face.
Once you know what might be causing your facial fat, you can make a plan to lose weight in your face.
So just how can you slim down your face and cheeks fast? Read on…
HOW TO GET RID OF FACE FAT
Getting rid of face fat involves making lifestyle changes as well as doing facial exercises–the two go hand-in-hand. I mentioned a few lifestyle changes already, but here is a summary (plus a few extras):
Eat Healthy Foods
Ditch fast foods, fried foods and processed foods. These pseudo foods rob you of the nutrients your body really needs and instead lead to bloating and puffiness.
Choose plant-based, whole foods that nourish your body. Not only will this help you lose extra fat, but will also encourage a healthy body overall.
Cut Back On Sodium
Since salt leads to water retention in your body, it’s best to reduce the amount you intake daily. So, instead of reaching for chips, try a healthier, low-sodium snack like air-popped popcorn lightly sprinkled with no-salt seasoning. Some other ways to cut back on salt include:
- Avoid adding salt or high-sodium seasonings to every dish. Allow your taste buds time to adjust and soon you’ll be enjoying the natural flavors of your food.
- Drink adequate water to help flush out excessive sodium stored in the body.
- Include natural diuretics in your diet to help eliminate extra sodium and water stored in the body. Cranberry juice and cabbage are good sources to include.
- Eat foods rich in potassium to help balance the amount of sodium in the body. Good sources include bananas, spinach, sweet potatoes, and broccoli.
Get More Sleep
How much sleep we need varies from person to person, but ideally most healthy adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night (beginning at least two hours before midnight) to function at their best. Getting enough sleep can help you avoid excess weight gain and, over time, help you lose weight.
Drink Enough Water
Drinking at least 48 – 64 ounces of filtered water daily will help our bodies stop hoarding and start releasing extra fluid (buh-bye puffiness!).
If you’re exercising to lose weight, a good rule of thumb is to get at least 200 minutes (a little over 3 hours) a week of moderate intensity exercise. But if you cut back on calories as well (or eat a plant-based, whole foods diet), you can reduce that amount of time to about 2 1/2 hours a week.
FACIAL EXERCISES TO LOSE FACE FAT
Exercising your body can help with losing face fat. And if you want to futher reshape your face, add facial exercises to your workout routine.
There are a ton of instructional videos online teaching how to reshape your face. I know because I watched many of them. However, I’ve found some to be more effective than others.
Through my research, I learned that Face Yoga Method is one of the easiest to follow and most effective method of transforming your face naturally. I really love the exercises, so I’m sharing some of my research with you.
If you like what you read, the creator has a 6 Week Face Toning Bootcamp to guide you through the most effective exercises to address your concerns. It features daily exercises that keep you on target and help you uncover a more toned and youthful-looking face. I think you’ll love it!
1. GET RID OF CHUBBY CHEEKS
Gain a younger appearance, tone your face, and reduce the fat in your cheek area with this face yoga pose:
- While sitting comfortably, smile as wide as you can.
- While smiling, take your index and middle finger of each hand and place them on both cheeks.
- Press and lift your cheeks toward your eyes and hold for three seconds, then release.
- Repeat for five reps total.
2. GET RID OF YOUR DOUBLE CHIN
Banish that sagging jawline and regain your youth with these facial exercises:
- Sit straight and comfortably in a chair.
- Lift your chin and look up at the ceiling.
- Pucker your lips and stretch your lips toward the ceiling as if to kiss it.
- Hold for five seconds, then release.
- Repeat for five reps total.
- Now lift your chin and tilt it at a 45-degree angle.
- Pucker your lips as if to kiss the corner of the ceiling where the wall meets.
- Hold this position for five seconds, then release.
- Complete a total of five reps alternating sides.
- While looking straight ahead, stick out your tongue and try to touch the tip of your nose without touching your upper lip.
- Hold this position for five seconds, then relax.
- Repeat for a total of five reps.
3. LIFT YOUR CHEEKBONES
Get high cheekbones and a more prominent jawline with this lifting exercise:
- While sitting comfortably, face forward, keeping your head straight.
- Push your lower jaw outward while lifting your bottom lip up as far as possible.
- Push until you feel the stretch in your chin muscles and jawline.
- Hold this posture for five seconds then relax.
- Repeat for a total of five reps.
4. STRETCH AND TONE YOUR CHEEK MUSCLES
To slim your face and make your cheeks look less flabby, try this exercise:
- Make a “fishy face” by sucking your cheeks and lips inward.
- Hold that post while attempting to smile. You’ll feel a burn in your checks and chin area.
- Hold this position for three seconds, then relax.
- Repeat for five reps.